What I'm afraid of

MaybeRisa
I really don't want the Unwind movie to be anything like the Hunger Games movie. I had such high hopes for the HG movie, I followed it all the way through pre-production and casting and it was just disappointment after disappointment. They changed the script quite a lot and, in my opinion, Jennifer Lawrence was NOT the best pick for Katniss. But really, all the girls they had auditioning were pretty weak.

I don't want the Unwind movie to sell out and choose a famous actress for Risa just because she's famous.

Re: What I'm afraid of

Kristine
I haven't seen The Hunger Games, so I'm not judging anything yet. They cut out Madge, which I suppose disappoints me, but she really wasn't that entirely important to the series. With darker hair, Jennifer DOES look how I imagined Katniss to look. She looks very plain but pretty. I did like her in X-Men: First Class, so I do have high hopes for her acting ability as Katniss. So far, I'm okay with everything in THG, but I don't really want to judge until I've seen the movie.

Unwind, I think, will go for actors/actresses that can actually act AND look the part. They did do a poll to see how we saw Risa--I don't think they're going to go against the majority for that. There are actresses that can truly act and would be willing to dye/cut their hair or wear contacts for the part. What I'm always worried about with books-to-movies is the script/screeplay. Since Neal's doing that, I don't have any worries at the mo'. (Just like I had virtually no worries about the Harry Potter movies years 5-7, since they did refer to Jo for some of the info--Kreacher wouldn't have been included in OotP had she not said something. Of course, OotP movie was a disappointment, but...ha.) Like I said, Neal's really involved in this, having done the screenplay, so I'm not too worried.

Re: What I'm afraid of

Kristina :D
I agree that I don't think Lawrence is perfect for the role...however I don't think they chose her because she's famous I'm pretty sure it's because she's a very talented actress. After all she's the second youngest person to ever be nominated for an Oscar. That's pretty impressive.
Nim

Re: What I'm afraid of

Nim
I think that JL is very talented and suits Katniss perfectly, but hey, that's just my opinion. Before JL was cast, some magazine (forgot which one) did a 'Vote For Who You Want To See In THG' and Kaya Scodelario, British actress, most known for Skins, came top. I think a lot of people will have mixed views over JL but I think she's going to do well.

Re: What I'm afraid of

Cimone
I love Jennifer Lawrence! But I digress.
Here's the thing. I'm black (umber) and I would love to play Risa. I think that in some stories, such as THG, the characters' appearances are important, but NOT so much in Unwind. I know the producers polled us about Risa's looks, and I know the book briefly mentions that she is not umber, but I don't think looks make or break her as a character. In fact, Risa could be of many ethnicities, since she never knew her parents. The point is to cast someone who is talented and understands the book. Neither visage nor name get in the way of the best storytelling possible.
Besides, wouldn't it be fun (and economical) to attach big names to the small roles (bit roles). For example, Dakota Fanning (whose 18th birthday is today, yay) could play someone in the crate with Risa, or Jessica Chastain could play the social worker. This way, the big names can help promote the film, but their salaries won't be too high nor their schedules too demanding with the 50 other projects they're currently working on.

Um, sorry this is so wordy...

Re: What I'm afraid of

MaybeRisa
Thanks for the replies! And yeah, I'm sort of the minority by not liking JLaw... She was good in Winter's Bone, but she just had to have the emotional range of Keanu Reeves. In X-Men I thought she was pretty weak. I just think that there was an unknown or partial-unknown out there who could have been a better embodiment of Katniss.

@Cimone: The results of the survey said that most readers imagined Risa as Caucasian, but that doesn't mean you would never get the part. And I agree with you that its much more important to find an actress who understands the character. And I also like your big names in small roles idea!

Re: What I'm afraid of

JenniferWholly
I know a lot of people don't think Jennifer Lawrence is good for the role, but I disagree. She was so fantastic in Winter's Bone, and the roles are *sort of* similar. So, I'm not worried (and I'm an enormous HG fan.) Just my opinion, though.
I also like the idea of having famous actors/actresses as little parts. That would actually be pretty interesting. And also, Cimone, just because technically Risa's not African-American, that doesn't mean you wouldn't be good for the part. Understanding the character and really being able to act counts a lot more than looking like the character. Best of luck to you!
"Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity."
-Fox Mulder, The X-Files

Re: What I'm afraid of

Capitol Alpha Thought Police 1
I myself fear that the Unwind sequel will be like the Hunger Games sequel.

Of course, Unwind was better than Hunger Games anyways, so we might not have to fear that...

Re: What I'm afraid of

JenniferWholly
Agreed, Unwind is better. But I actually liked Catching Fire...
"Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity."
-Fox Mulder, The X-Files

Re: What I'm afraid of

Kristine
I liked Catching Fire.

It was Mockingjay that was disappointing.

If Unwind ends up a trilogy, I doubt Neal will disappoint. He's such a fantastic writer, and it's not like he's new to writing. THG was Suzanne Collins' first book, wasn't it?

Re: What I'm afraid of

JenniferWholly
Yeah, same. Mockingjay was AWFUL.

I really hope Unwind's not a trilogy. Just because if it is, I'll have to wait even longer for it to be resolved. (And I've already had too much waiting. Me= impatient.)
"Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity."
-Fox Mulder, The X-Files

Re: What I'm afraid of

MaybeRisa
No, THG wasn't Suzanne Collins' first book. She had the Gregor the Overlander series before that and I think another series, plus she wrote TV shows for kids or something like that.

But I definitely agree that Mockingjay was the worst of the trilogy. By far. I loved the first two, and Mockingjay was so...depressing. I'm still pissed that Finnick died.

Sorry, I'll stop talking about THG!! This is the Unwind board, I know!

Re: What I'm afraid of

Capitol Alpha Thought Police 1
I disagree.  Catching Fire was just as bad as Mockingjay.  It took all the problems with the first book and amplified them up ludicrously.

(Actually, I have to admit, I didn't read Mockingjay because of how much I disliked Catching Fire, so I can't really say if Mockingjay was worse or not.)

Re: What I'm afraid of

Cimone
Aaaaaaaaaaaugggggggggghhhhh! Spoiler! My eyes! Haha, I'm just kidding.

   Unwind already has its reasons to be different from THG and many other adaptations. In those other adaptations (which shall remain nameless), producers have some huge invisible wall between themselves and the fans. But Unwind's producers have actually asked us what we think and given us their e-mail addresses. Unwind will be inherently revolutionary.

   The two types of success in the film industry are commercial success and artistic success. It's a bit early to tell, but it seems like THG has some measure of both. Most producers feel the need to focus on commercial success because without it, they cannot produce anymore. So sometimes, they go overboard and make way too much merchandise just to be successful in that way.

    But Unwind already has artistic success before one camera even roles because as a book, it has touched people. Just look how much we care about it. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the producers care that we care. As long as they are in this to make a good film, rather than a good profit, it willl be a masterpiece, because it already is. And commercial success will follow because we fans would probably rather pay to see a masterpiece than pay for candy with some huge actor's face on it.

Does this make sense?

Re: What I'm afraid of

Cimone
Oops, I kind of changed the subject. I know you guys were talking more about books.

Neal said that he would never write a sequel unless he felt confident that it could be better than the previous novel. So, considering Unwind was AMAZING, Unwholly will probably be the book equivalent of Nutella.

But comparing THG to Unwind is kinda fun. I like that the producers asked us about that because it gave us permission to like both (even though we didn't need permission). I don't like the recent trend of people comparing two books and acting like you have to choose a side.

I also like how, as dark as both novels are, they make you realize that young people are capable of a lot. I mean, I'm seventeen, and every time I read some of Unwind, it makes me feel powerful. Like a Golden. :)

Lol, this is a great forum. I love that Unwind has a forum now. I'm posting a lot today, but that's because of special circumstances.

Re: What I'm afraid of

MaybeRisa
AAAAHHH I LOVE NUTELLA

Anyway, I like your points about commercial success vs. artistic success. I think the producers of Unwind are paying more attention to the fans than other producers who have adapted books into movies. Other producers are overwhelmingly concerned about ensuring commercial success, and if that means changing the story or casting big names to draw non-fans to the movie, then they won't hesitate. The Unwind producers, on the other hand, care about the fans. I love that they gave us a survey about how we saw Risa.

Re: What I'm afraid of

JenniferWholly
Artistic success is so much more important, and I really love how the producers always make an effort to connect with the fans as much as possible, rather than only caring about their financial endeavors. The Risa survey was also really interesting, although my friends kind of hated me for emailing all of them, going, "OMG! TAKE THIS SURVEY NOW!!!" I still don't think they've forgiven me for that, LOL. Overall, very good points.

NUTELLA!
"Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity."
-Fox Mulder, The X-Files

Re: What I'm afraid of

jayrod
I think in Facebook Neal said that the book will be split into two parts for the movie and the third installment will be Unwholly because there is so much information in the book.  I "think"...

Re: What I'm afraid of

HanaRose30
suzanne collins had written other books before. The hunger games was to rushed though, it kept all of the physical things the book had, but it overlooked the emotional moments. I don't think it is really the actor's fault, but the editors. They left out huge pieces, like for example HUNGER. Katniss is constantly eating at the capital, but in the movie she is unfazed by the food. THe producers are doing such a good job of asking fans opinions, that i'm not worried. I would really like it if fans were in this movie though. I just think its more powerful that way

Re: What I'm afraid of

HanaRose30
i mean the movie...