Questions (Things We May Have Missed)

Capitol Alpha Thought Police 1
I'm not quite sure if this board is EXCLUSIVELY for discussion of the movie, or if we can discuss the book too.  If we're not supposed to just talk about the book, then please inform me.

Anyways, this topic is for questions about the book.  Like, if you think you remember a detail but you're not quite sure, then you can ask if it was really there in this thread.

Do parents recieve a financial benefit from the government for unwinding their children?  (IE, "congrats on your decision to unwind your kid, here's five thousand dollars")

Re: Questions (Things We May Have Missed)

Numra
This forum can used for anything, book or movie related :)

I don't think parents were paid for unwinding their children. I don't remember the book mentioning that anywhere. Hopefully they include that in the movie. I should hope not because that would make more people, really greedy parents, want to unwind their kids. If they weren't paid then I think there would be some sort of a black market for getting paid to unwind your kids. Gruesome, yes, but some people today sell their kidney illegally.

Re: Questions (Things We May Have Missed)

Capitol Alpha Thought Police 1
The reason I ask is because I was trying to come up with more reasons for kids to be unwound, for fanfiction or something, I dunno, and one of the reasons I came up with that I thought was compelling and interesting was a kid who was unwound because his father was a gambling addict and wanted more money to gamble with.

Of course, on the greed issue, greedy parents would ALREADY want to unwind their kids because kids cost money to maintain.  :P

Re: Questions (Things We May Have Missed)

Kristine
If you want to go the money route for the Unwinding issue, you could have someone offer the parents a great sum for a part of their kid. If they're greedy enough, they'll take it. Whether or not that's illegal isn't said in the books, if I remember correctly.

Otherwise, StaHo kids get Unwound if there isn't any room and they have no special talents (like Risa); Tithes get Unwound at the age of thirteen so their parents can give back to God (like Lev); and kids like Connor get Unwound because they're trouble makers and their parents don't know what to do with them anymore. Think the kids in Juvie--they'll probably be Unwound. Then you might have the kids that get Storked and the Storked parents will take care of them until they're thirteen and then get them Unwound--it wasn't their kid to begin with, why should they have to be stuck with him/her? (And there are definitely people that think that way. No doubt in my mind.)

Re: Questions (Things We May Have Missed)

Capitol Alpha Thought Police 1
Yeah, all that was covered in the book.  :)  I was just trying to think of more reasons; fleshing out the universe more in my mind.

I wonder if there are some parents who wouldn't actually ever unwind their kids, but would use the threat to keep them in line...

Re: Questions (Things We May Have Missed)

JenniferWholly
I can really see my parents doing that. They're always threatening to take away privileges, punish me, whatever, but almost never actually do.
"Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity."
-Fox Mulder, The X-Files

Re: Questions (Things We May Have Missed)

Kristine
I think if you had a kid like Connor, it wouldn't be seen as much a threat until it's actually done. Then it's too late.

If you had a kid that really feared being Unwound, then it'd definitely keep them in line, I think.

Re: Questions (Things We May Have Missed)

Junkburt
I think that parents might not be payed, the government seems to be tight on money and they don't seen to care much about what goes on. I say this because the storking initiative was meant to get children into better homes so the state wouldn't have to deal with them. Just an idea, the book doesn't say much about it though.

Re: Questions (Things We May Have Missed)

jayrod
wasn't there a kid in the book who got unwound because his parents got divorced but both of them wanted the kid but they were like "if i can't have him, you can't either. Let's unwind him."

Re: Questions (Things We May Have Missed)

GiRhose
I think you're talking about Hayden, who wasn't unwound, but was signed up to be for that reason.

Re: Questions (Things We May Have Missed)

jayrod
GiRhose wrote
I think you're talking about Hayden, who wasn't unwound, but was signed up to be for that reason.
that's what i meant. i like hayden and his spam

Re: Questions (Things We May Have Missed)

ItsThatTyGuy
As far as I can remember their is no financial benefit to Unwinding.  But there could be and we're just unaware of it at this point.  It could be talked about in UnWholly.  But seeing as it was an agreement to end abortions I don't think they do.