Harlan/Humphry

unwindmovie
Administrator
What are everyone's thoughts on the Harlan Dunbar/Humphry Dunfree story element?  Is the legend scary and compelling enough for you?

Re: Harlan/Humphry

GiRhose
The legend and story behind "Humphrey Dunfee" is definitely interesting enough on its own, and disturbing enough to really cause reaction. The only concern is really how it will be portrayed in the movie. I hope that all of the story will be included and really applied to the setting and plot-not to mention the overall feeling of terror it invokes in the characters.

Re: Harlan/Humphry

MaybeRisa
I liked the ending, where all the pieces of Harlan were finally united. It added an almost spiritual element to unwinding, since Harlan seemingly reappeared when he was put back together again.

Re: Harlan/Humphry

JenniferWholly
I agree. I thought that put a nice ending on it in comparison to the brutality of the book.
"Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity."
-Fox Mulder, The X-Files

Re: Harlan/Humphry

Cimone
Definitely! And it added to the "Are you alive or are you dead?" question, the "What happens to the soul?" question, and the question of whether Unwinds could ever forgive their parents/guardians/etc, especially in contrast to Mai, who never forgave the entire world. Plus, it shows that people change.

Re: Harlan/Humphry

Kristine
I didn't find it scary, actually. Thrilling, but not scary. Like The Woman in Black--it was thrilling, but not exactly scary.

As long as the story is told with a spooky note and has the proper ending with all the pieces fitting together, I'll be happy XD The story itself is just sad, once it comes out properly. You really feel for the Admiral, so I hope someone exactly right for the part is chosen. I would love for the person to portray him as the bad guy only to end up the good guy at the end (much like Gary Oldman did with Sirius Black--if you hadn't already read the book, I think he looked like a real nutjob, lol).

It should have the air of a scary story, of course, when told. If it doesn't, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Re: Harlan/Humphry

Junkburt
I thought the end of the legend was very interesting, it mirrored how Connor was seen as a legend throughout the book. I think in the movie it could be a little more thoroughly explained, in the book it was a little hard to follow. I do think that it was a very creepy idea and I lived how for the first part of the story you thought you were just rereading Hump-free Dump-free. As I said before though, it could be more detailed and even more creepy.

Re: Harlan/Humphry

Junkburt
I agree that the end was very cool, it almost makes you want to see how he feels when everybody that he is attached to has to go back to their real lives. Like unwinding again, or just feeling assured and going back. That question actually never gets answered, even when "Tyler" sees his old life. You just never see them come back to reality.

Re: Harlan/Humphry

JenniferWholly
Well, it's certainly a fascinating concept (and part of the book) that would make for some seriously awesome cinematography. And it's got just the right touch of creepiness that helps define Unwind.
"Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity."
-Fox Mulder, The X-Files

Re: Harlan/Humphry

54333
I think it is an interesting part of the book. The legend is creepy, and compelling. I was shocked during the scene where the Admiral invites Emby and talks to him about leaving. Then Emby finds out his name and freezes. Also, it shows that some parents regret unwinding their child.

Re: Harlan/Humphry

Caitie
i loved it, and i hope that if they include it in the movie it's like the tale of the three brothers was in harry potter. a voice over of hayden telling the story with a story book like animation portraying the visuals. it could be a really strong point in the movie. plus it's kind of important for the later books with Cy-Fy's organization and how it's similar. it would be upsetting if it wasn't included