Food for Thought...

Anni
I was just curious and wondering how you guys pictured Risa. There's not a very vivid description in the novel so I'm not certain how others viewed her appearance wise, but I would love to find out!

Re: Food for Thought...

MaybeRisa
I pictured her with long, straight brown hair. Quite slender, about 5'4". Pretty in an exotic way, with a straight nose and big brown eyes.

Re: Food for Thought...

mearaa95
I pictured Risa tall (but not super tall. average tall) but very thin - undernourished, I guess. Angular, slender face. A smart face. Olive skin, brown curly hair, brown eyes.

Re: Food for Thought...

JenniferWholly
I see her about 5'4, pretty slim, slightly pale and with subtly angular features (sort of undernourished looking.) In my mind, she had sort of light green eyes and wavy, slightly unkempt, dark brown hair. And she's pretty, but in her own way. Like, you have to actually look at her for a while to notice it.
"Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity."
-Fox Mulder, The X-Files

Re: Food for Thought...

jayrod
I pictured her hispanic because there was a part of the book that someone told her that her name is short for Sonrisa. You know, smile in spanish and she likes the idea that she might even be part hispanic. Then there's a part in the chop shop that one of the band members commented that there is "hot" girl on keyboards. So... 5'4 tan-ish, long brown hair, with large expressive brown eyes. not so slender because she is a staho kid.

Re: Food for Thought...

sanfranhan99
I always pictured her kind of pale, not super pale but fair skinned, straight brown hair, and maybe blue eyes, slender but healthy. I also wondered what people pictured her wearing throughout the story? I always imagined like a gray state home## sweatshirt.

Re: Food for Thought...

Kristine
I agree with the description. I pictured the dark hair and eyes, tanned skin, but I think she just wanted some sort of feel of belonging. If she thinks she can be Hispanic, she has something to hold on to.

I think she's just an average American girl in that respect. Many Hispanics in the United States don't live in the northen states, they live in the southern ones, like Florida, Louisiana, and Georgia. I don't mean that to sound generic, but I rarely met anyone that wasn't Caucasian or Asian when I lived in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. If anyone lives in Ohio and has met Hispanics, then I'm wrong. What I've stated is from personal experience. And I think that's important - you have to look at where this is set: Risa, Connor, and Lev are from Ohio. So...

Re: Food for Thought...

sanfranhan99
agreed, she seemed average, but pretty in her own way.

Re: Food for Thought...

Anni
That's kind of what I gleaned from the book too. Thanks!